Roland-Garros (13) – “The Beautiful Stories of the Earth” by Roland-Garros # RG22 #RolandGarros #FrenchOpen #Story #Tickets

On this occasion Roland Garros 2022, you will find in Tennis News every day”The beautiful stories of the earth … “ that invite you to travel through the history of Roland Garros and its backstage. An unprecedented lighting, sometimes unusual and full of emotions, that allows you to discover the very essence of a tournament that has thrilled generations of spectators for over a century!

The Roland-Garros and French Open 2022 teaser!

There was once a 2/2 stage

The round of challenges of the davis cup Taking place in France in 1928, it is necessary to build a stadium capable of hosting the event, promising to attract a large crowd. When obtaining the concession of lands of the City of Paris, it was decided to construct the stage Porte d’Auteuil and to put the name to him of an old member of the Stade-Français: Roland Garros. It remains to build the stadium in record time, as it must also host it French internationals from May.

Louis Faure-Dujarric: the architect of emergencies

After a first project finally abandoned because it was considered too expensive, he was the architect Louis Faure-Dujarric, a member of the Stade Français, who is in charge of the work, and what a work! Delays linked to a harsh winter must be combined with deadlines and budget constraints. The architect has already distinguished himself in the construction of sports buildings, including the Colombes Olympic Stadium for Paris Games in 1924, has above all a reputation for working fast and earning affordable prices. It thus meets the specifications of the two sponsors, Pierre Gillou and Emile Lesieur, presidents respectively of the Racing Club de France and the Stade Français and who, let us remember, are financially committed to their personal assets!

Therefore, concrete, economical materials and the art deco style are preferred to the Anglo-Norman style. He St. Andrew’s Crosstraditionally used for the construction of half-timbered buildings, it is, however, integrated into the architectural ensemble, constituting an emblematic visual landmark of the stadium.

Four wooden supports (A, B, C and D) are installed. Detachable, they are rented to reduce costs. Two of them, stands B and C (current stands of Borotra and Lacoste) already have four-seater boxes, while one stand, “D” (current Cochet stand), seems to be the most popular, consisting exclusively of stands and offering “standing” at its top.

As for the courts, they are prepared by the expert of the clay, Charles Bouhana, who installs a system of underground canals to absorb excess water in case of rain. Above these channels, Bouhana’s recipe has had the following: a layer of stone to stabilize the ground, a layer of gravel, a thick layer of thick clinker, followed by a thinner layer of clinker, and finally a limestone sprinkled with crushed brick. .

May 18, 1928: Date of birth of Roland Garros Stadium

On May 18, the central track is inaugurated. The first edition of Roland Garros Tournament it can start in a framework that is still provisional, but entirely new. The 1928 edition crowned its first two winners: the Musketeer Henri Cochet and the American Helen Wills. A few weeks later, on July 27, the Roland Garros Stadium finally welcomes the first round of Davis Cup challenges taking place in France. Despite the capricious weather, the public came in large numbers to support the musketeers. Traffic jams disrupt Porte d’Auteuil traffic and the stands are crowded. After four days, Monday, July 30, Henri Cochet wins the 3rd point of the match and signs the victory of the tricolors. The trophy will remain in France until 1932!

A permanent plot: from 3.25 to 12 hectares!

As soon as the Challenge-Round is over, a second phase of work is resumed in order to build permanent stands and make arrangements for the press, players and spectators. Only the wooden C grandstand remains. Tier A is already structured in a very similar way to the current one in Brugnon: an official area, another reserved for referees, players and guest players, as well as a space dedicated to the invitations of the Federation and two organizing clubs, the Racing Club. of France and Stade Français.

In 1928, the stadium still occupied only 3.25 hectares, nestled between theEtienne Jules-Marey Institute, which will be destroyed to make way for the short n ° 1 in 1980, the Bois de Boulogne, the Boulevard d’Auteuil and, to the west, an agricultural land where it will be built 65 years later, the short Suzanne-Lenglen. The Roland-Garros stadium was far from finished with the works and would reach over 12 acres more than half a century later!

Leave a Comment