Does your car cost you a lot when you don’t use it much? Renting between individuals can be a great way to supplement your income. But there is always a part of risk, especially in the event of a breakdown, despite the insurances offered by specialized sites.
Do you rent your car to strangers? This is an idea that many will be tempted to put aside. But many vehicles are only used occasionally, while their insurance, maintenance or parking can cost money permanently. Not to mention the monthly long-term rental (LLD), option-to-purchase (LOA) rent or credit that are generally contracted for your acquisition. Renting between individuals can thus become a means of transforming all these moments of immobilization into a source of additional income, and help pay for all these expenses along the way. The arguments offers an update of the specialized sites in this field, the eligible models, as well as the guarantees they offer in case of breakdown or accident while not driving.
Top available sites
Even if there are offers in more general places, such as Leboncoin in the “services” section, car rental between individuals is done today mainly through specialized sites. Professionals are responsible for connecting motorists, facilitating payment, and generally providing insurance. In return, they charge a more or less important commission and “service commissions.”
- Getaround (formerly Drivy): with 2.5 million users in Europe, it is one of the industry leaders. Specifically, the company offers an application, Getaround Connect, which allows you to use your smartphone to take stock of the situation and unlock the vehicle. The owner does not need to be present, but a box must be installed beforehand.
- Yes why: Founded in 2012, this “pioneer of the collaborative economy” is present in France and Spain. It claims more than 2 million users, including 30,000 owners. Like Getaround, it allows you to open, close, or start using a smartphone app called OuiCar Connect.
- Road: Although there are also some models for the general public, this place is designed primarily to be dedicated to “fans of vintage, sports and luxury cars.” The electric car also occupies a growing place, with in particular a large number of Tesla.
- Travelcar / Free2Move: A subsidiary of Stellantis dedicated to various mobility services, Free2Move especially absorbed Travelcar, a company born in 2012 around an original idea. When you travel by train or plane, this company offers you to rent your vehicle instead of paying for parking, which is often very expensive. It claims 1 million regular users in no less than 62 countries.
- Ucar: In addition to its classic fleet, rental company Ucar offers vehicles “rested” by individuals. The company then manages the booking schedule, welcomes the customer and cleans your car before returning it to you. On the other hand, the search engine for your site does not really distinguish between private rentals and traditional rentals.
- Wheeliz: this company specializes in the rental of vehicles suitable for people with reduced mobility. Therefore, its site basically offers services equipped with wheelchair access ramps, as well as some modified cars for disabled drivers.
- Zotcar: Here is another very specialized site. In fact, it is present only in the overseas territories, more precisely in Guadeloupe, Martinique and Reunion. This does not prevent it from offering, like Getaround or Ouicar, its own application that allows digital inventory and unlocking without the presence of the owner.
Which models are eligible?
As we have seen, the sites have specialized in a certain type of vehicle. Roadstr, then, favors fairly high-end models … which doesn’t stop it from being denied. ” some sports cars with too radical a driving or style ” like the ” Mercedes in finish or AMG or Brabus engine “the” BMW in finish or M or Alpina engine »Or even the« Volkswagen in GTI, GTD or R engine finish ». But other companies, even more generalist, also have their share of exclusions. In Getaround, for example, vehicles must have less than 200,000 km, less than 15 years and a final gray card, while Ouicar does not accept models with more than 14 hp, more than 9 seats or no license. The most restrictive, however, is Ucar, which only tolerates vehicles less than 5 years old and less than 50,000 km.
How is my car insured?
Leaving your car in the hands of someone you don’t know will surely be worrisome. But all the places we mentioned offer full risk insurance to cover your vehicle during the rental period. In the event of an accident, your bonus or penalty will not be affected, and the tenant will pay the deductible. However, take a moment to read the terms and conditions, which vary from company to company. If Getaround and Ouicar, for example, offer reimbursement up to the new value for vehicles less than 12 months old up to a limit of € 50,000, Roadstr is based on the value of the expert, corresponding to the market of the occasion of the moment. . You will also need to make sure, in general, that the profile of the driver to whom you are renting your car corresponds to the established conditions: on Roadstr, you must be at least 28 years old, or even 35 years old from a power of 400 hp, and at least 5 years of license, even 10 years for sports models of 300 hp and more. Finally, if the tenant wants to stay in the car longer, don’t forget to let the company know so that the insurance can also be extended.
What happens in the event of a breakdown?
Specialty business insurance contracts include assistance covering the trailer, even away from home. At Ouicar or Getaround, you will also be paid for the journey to recover your vehicle once it has been repaired. But it is always the owner who “Be responsible for costs related to the repair of the vehicle, unless proven by an expert that the damage is linked to abnormal use of the vehicle by the tenant.” . Suffice it to say that in this case you can expect a long and expensive obstacle course … For example if you recover your car with a broken clutch. As an advantage, in Getaround, “A management fee of € 90 will be applied in the event of a breakdown due to the normal use of the vehicle.” Therefore, the company offers instead a list of points to check in order to limit the risks.
What happens in the event of a traffic violation?
If the tenant commits an offense while in possession of the vehicle, all places obviously make him responsible. But since the notification of the infraction will arrive, in most cases, at the home of the owner, this situation generates its share of complications. For tickets related to the car park or issued from abroad, which do not involve the loss of points, Getaround recommends that you first pay the fine to the holder of the gray card and then request a refund instead. On the other hand, the story is different from Ouicar, which advises, instead, to fill in an exemption request with the information regarding the tenant, then send it to the competent authorities by certified mail, attaching a copy of the formalized lease. and signed.test. This leaves the tenant free to exercise his right of reply. However, you still have to cross your fingers not to be a bad payer, which could earn you a few administration tracking letters!
Do I have to declare my rental income?
Normally, all car rental income is taxable. However, there is a bonus of € 305: therefore, you will not be taxed if you earn less than this amount for a whole year, after deducting the expenses related to the rent. In addition, the tax authorities seem to show some tolerance for very occasional rents. But beware, on the contrary, if you have made this activity a real “business”, some even buying several vehicles for this sole purpose. Beyond the 72,600 euros of annual income, you will no longer be able to adopt the micro-BIC regime for micro-enterprises, which is very simple: you will have to switch to the real regime, which is much more complex, which requires above all to register your activity. You will also have to pay VAT from € 34,400 in income.