What a pleasure to drive your convertible with your hair in the wind! You are right to take advantage of the sunny days to make a good trip. However, do you take good care of your car? You can learn how to properly clean the hood of a car and avoid unpleasant surprises over time. From maintenance to washing and protection, let’s take a look at the steps to keep your hood in good condition!
First of all, before you start, you need to know what material your condom is made of. In addition, as with car maintenance in general, regular care will keep it in good condition and, like a car cover, will provide you with better protection for your car in the winter and against bad weather.
Vinyl or canvas?
A vinyl top has many advantages: it is less fragile, easier to maintain and above all waterproof. By contrast, a cloth hood is unfortunately not waterproof. In this case, you need to be very careful when maintaining it. This is its main drawback. For the rest, both materials clean very well.
If the hood is not dirty, it is important to rinse the hood at least once a month. Before embarking on this task, remember to hang the hood properly and check that your seals are watertight. This is to avoid unpleasant surprises when cleaning.
- Run a soft brush back and forth on the hood to remove most of the dust and dirt
- Pass it with a stream of water, from front to back, at a distance of 30 cm so as not to damage the fabric.
- Make sure all dust and dirt is gone
- Dry the hood with a microfiber cloth
- Allow the hood to dry completely
For cloth hoods, if you can, use a wet vacuum cleaner to make your job easier. Since the cost of maintaining a car can increase rapidly, it is therefore not a superfluous purchase.
Stains on a convertible hood are not easy to spot, but care should be taken to regularly check for mold or bird droppings. It is not at all impossible to carry out the possible cleaning on your own. To do this, just buy special products for vinyl or fabric hoods in specialty stores. Can we tell you a little more?
As with laundry, it is very possible to do without bleach, detergent or alcohol. These could damage your soft top. To wash it off, make sure you are in a shady place. Also, leave enough time to clean the entire convertible hood. To do this, follow our instructions generally adapted to all the specialized products that are marketed:
- Spread the product all over the hood
- Rub with a soft brush
- Sprinkle some product on stubborn stains
- Wait 15-20 minutes before gently rubbing with a brush.
- Allow to dry in the sun if possible to go faster
Please note that drying should not be neglected – make sure that the entire hood is no longer wet before any further treatment!
As with washing, we recommend using specific products to protect the fabric or vinyl. Don’t play the sorcerer’s apprentice! The longevity of the protection varies: on average, it is recommended to repeat this treatment every 1 or 2 months. Here are the steps you need to take to make your business a success:
- Shake the product well before and during application
- Apply the product on a dry, clean cloth in a place protected from drafts
- Protect other parts of your convertible to prevent the product from slipping
- Sprinkle the protector evenly all over the hood
- Allow to dry in the sun for at least 15 minutes depending on the weather
- Repeat, applying at least 3 coats
- Allow to dry well between coats
Finally, with a microfiber cloth, remove the projections from the other parts. Your favorite convertible has to suffer to be beautiful!
Clean the hood of a car – our practical tips before you do it!
Because prevention is better than cure, here are some tips to help keep your convertible in top condition. First, make sure there are no tears or cracks. In fact, these inconveniences could incur additional costs. Also, your hood should be very dry when you open it.
Otherwise, mold may develop. Similarly, if you see small puddles, beware, danger! You will need to reseal the hood. Finally, you need to properly maintain the seals and hinges on your bell. To do this, apply oil 2 to 3 times a year to the hinges. Finish your work by washing your joints with a soap containing silicone to prevent them from becoming porous. And, icing on the cake, why not perfume the interior of your vehicle now?