As the market is increasingly dominated by SUVs, minivans are more suitable for families, here are the best models of 2022.
Minivans are becoming less popular in the sales market. In 10 years, sales of these family cars have been reduced by half. Although these vehicles have been severely affected by the arrival of SUVs, they are still very popular among families. If the minivans are less prominent by the manufacturers, some models are still especially practical for families and very well equipped.
Why choose a minivan in 2022?
Contrary to popular belief, Minivans have pretty good road performance. Often derived from the chassis of compact cars or sedans, the multiple engines of the station wagons allow a Very good handling. These family models are great too more practical than SUVs. Often available in a 7-seater version, sometimes even a 9-seater, minivans allow families to travel on long journeys in complete safety.
Large space on board, generous trunk, driving comfort, attractive prices, so many arguments that still justify the purchase of these atypical models. Although very few manufacturers offer hybrid or electric versions, minivans still have a few years to live.
Which one to choose?
There are several models available in the market. Here is a list of the twelve minivans available on the market today.
- Renault Scénic and Grand Scénic: These two 5 and 7 seater vehicles are among the best sellers of the Renault brand. The new generations adopt a slightly SUV style, in particular with the new 20-inch wheels installed in certain finishes. But the Scenic and the Grand Scenic are still true wide-ranging minivans designed for families. They are equipped with Renault’s latest multimedia system, the R-Link 2.
Trunk volume: 572 liters for the Scénic and 765 liters for the Grand Scénic
New price: from € 29,800 for the Renault Scénic i € 30,400 for the Grand Scénic version
- Renault Espace: As with the Scénic models, the new generation Espace takes on a more SUV look. Well equipped and very flexible to drive, the new Renault Espace is also very comfortable. Despite the SUV look, it has remained practical for families. Also equipped with the Easy Link multimedia system, it has several options
Trunk volume: 680 liters in the 5-seater version (247 liters in the 7-seater version)
Price: from € 49,900
- Ford S-Max : The S-Max is one of the largest minivans. At 4.8 meters long, it is very practical for families. The interior is still pretty basic in the entrance finishes. But with its 8-speed automatic transmission, the S-Max proves to be agile on the road. Designed to accommodate 7 real seats, it has everything to please families.
Trunk volume: 700 liters in 5-seater version (285 liters in 7-seater version)
New price: € 48,150
- BMW 2 Series Active Tourer : While BMW unveiled the new version of its Active Tourer earlier this year, the German minivan is perhaps the best equipped on the market. Smaller than the large 7-seater family cars on the market, the Active Tourer is much better equipped. A plug-in hybrid version is also available in the catalog. This premium minivan will appeal to families who do not want to neglect comfort.
Trunk volume: 645 liters
New price: from € 28,050
- Volkswagen Golf Sportvan : The small Volkswagen minivan is one of the most compact on the market. Equipped with the same chassis as the Golf, it offers an almost impeccable handling. Pair this with the Volkswagen DSG 7 gearbox, and you get a car cut for the road. Well equipped and equipped with a generous trunk, this small minivan is especially practical.
Trunk volume: 500 liters
New price: from € 28,575
- Toyota Prius: The Prius is one of the few hybrid minivans available on the market. The family version, which goes up to 7 seats with the Prius + finish, is quite similar to the classic version. Equipment and handling change little. We may regret a somewhat slow gearbox. Comfortable, it allows a fairly low consumption compared to its competitors.
Trunk volume: 500 liters in 5-seater version
New price: from € 30,300
- volkswagen touran : The Touran is Volkswagen’s most popular minivan. Neither too small nor too large, it offers high-end services at a reasonable price. Highly equipped, including Apple Car Play and Android Auto systems, the Touran seats 7 people. Although this minivan is designed essentially to accommodate 5 people.
Trunk volume: 743 liters in 5-seater version
Price again : from € 33,595
- Volkswagen Sharan : Larger than the Touran, the Sharan adopts virtually the same philosophy as the Touran. It is designed for large families. With its 7 seats, it is able to comfortably accommodate young and old. Equipped with a sliding door at the back, everything has been designed to make life easier for families. On the other hand, its price is higher than that of the Touran with equivalent equipment.
Trunk volume: 900 liters in 5-seater version and 300 liters in 7-seater version
New price: from € 41,200
- Citroën C4 Space Tourer and Grand Space Tourer : Citroën recently announced the end of its minivans. Too bad, because the C4 Space Tourer was without a doubt the most versatile and complete minivan on the market. Good width, recognized reliability and very generous trunk volume. This C4 Space Tourer (formerly C4 Picasso) can do it all. The Grand Space Tourer version is able to accommodate 7 people without difficulty.
Trunk volume: 630 liters for the C4 Space Tourer and 704 liters for the Grand Space Tourer
New price: from € 28,000
- Ford Galaxy : The Ford Galaxy is Ford’s largest available minivan. The third generation of this minivan has evolved especially well. At almost 4.9 meters long, it is the largest minivan available on the market. Equipped with the Sync 3 multimedia system, the Ford Galaxy offers, in certain finishes, Wifi on board. Habitability is definitely the best on the market.
Trunk volume: 700 liters in 5-seater version and 300 liters in 7-seater version
New price: from € 51,950
- Dacia Lodgy: The Dacia Lodgy is without a doubt one of the cheapest cars on the market. Easily accommodating 7 people, this Dacia is also pleasant to drive. It is true that the equipment on board is rudimentary, but some high-end finishes give access to a quality GPS.
Trunk volume: 827 liters in 5-seater version and 207 liters in 7-seater version
New price: from € 19,000