Automotive. At the initiative of the Haut-Marne car dealership association, a small exhibition of electric and hybrid cars took place on Saturday 30 April. About thirty cars were on display, demonstrating the exponential evolution of these new engines.
The misfortune of fuel prices makes the happiness of electric and hybrid. Thus, Chaumont dealerships report excellent sales results for these “era-time” car models earlier this year.
This Saturday, April 30, these professionals gathered in the parking lot of the Atlas store for a mini-exhibition. This initiative of the association of car dealers of the Alt Marne (ACAHM) aimed to promote these new engines, increasingly in demand. Objective: to make customers aware of the plurality of models available. “With the current conjecture, people are looking to save money and ecology,” says Gérald Dubois, director of the Citroën dealership.
Enthusiasm for hybrid and electric models
More than thirty vehicles from many brands were exhibited on site: BMW, Mini, Nissan, MG, Citroën, Hyundai, Suzuki, Renault, Dacia, Audi, Volkswagen, Peugeot, Mercedes, Toyota, Opel, Ford and Kia . “Today there is no longer a single manufacturer that does not offer at least one electric and / or hybrid model in its catalog,” said Pierrick Chemin, Renault’s commercial director. This leaves a wide range of options and pricing to potential customers.
Three phenomena explain this increase in power and the madness surrounding these vehicles, which are sold as the best for the environment: the current conjecture and inflation at the fuel level, a great evolution of the product and the European standard CAFE that pushes manufacturers forever. do more in terms of ecology.
The latter, the Corporate Average Fuel Economy, applies to all manufacturers selling in European territory. In specific terms, this standard limits the average rate of CO2 emitted by new passenger cars to 95 g / km. This is combined with the World Harmozid Light-duty Test Procedures (WLTP) system, which measures fuel consumption, electrical autonomy, as well as CO2 and pollutant emissions. If manufacturers don’t want fines for every vehicle sold, they should always do more. Hence the importance of betting on hybrid and electric vehicles in favor of internal combustion engines.
That’s why the new models have evolved well compared to the first one in the late 2000s. The main argument they lacked was battery life. “Electric cars were often bought by customers as a secondary domestic car. This is no longer the case, with a range that easily reaches 250 km. More and more artisans are asking for electric utility vehicles, ”says Pierrick Chemin.
Among the electric, rechargeable and non-rechargeable hybrid models (recharging during braking or deceleration), making a quick choice can be tricky for the customer. “The purchase is very personalized. Depending on the driving style, travel habits and profiles, one vehicle will be more suitable than another, ”explains Pierrick Chemin. Electric and hybrid cars have come a long way, but dealers agree they are still just around the corner. Impossible to know if they are the cars of tomorrow.
They have thought of everything!
Respondents with hybrid and electric motors more often question the decontamination of these vehicles. Lithium ion batteries are made of materials that are considered harmful to the environment. Thus, manufacturers and engineers are thinking of giving a second life to these batteries which, after 8 years of use, lose 25% of their capacity, and are therefore no longer powerful enough to power a car. On the other hand, the remaining 75% is still very useful. Victor Mersey, Renault’s commercial adviser, estimates that “today, 95% of an electric vehicle can be recycled. The batteries are reused to feed eco-districts, for example. The object can be used as an electrical storage terminal from renewable energy collected by solar or wind energy.
The other counter-argument to these vehicles was their incompatibility with long journeys. Today, GPS technologies map the route from point A to point B by setting the route according to the charging points on the road. Tourism professionals also use ploys to target a large audience. For example, a rental agency, Hertz, has developed a guide to the best electric road (EV) road trips in Europe.
The rest of the assets are the different state aids such as the conversion bonus or the ecological bonus.
Today, every manufacturer is able to offer at least one hybrid and / or electric vehicle.