The Oscars ceremony sought to bring the audience back after several years of falling audiences. Will Smith will no doubt have secured the buzz. While comedian Chris Rock had just made a joke about the shaved head of his wife, Jada Pinkett Smith, who suffers from alopecia, the American actor stood up and slapped him in front of stunned spectators.
Both the audience and the audience initially believed that he was staged, but when he took the stage almost an hour later to receive the Oscar for Best Actor, Will Smith left no doubt about the spontaneity of his gest.
“I want to apologize to the Academy” at the Oscars, the actor shed tears. “Love makes you go crazy”, said Will Smith after receiving his statuette. He was awarded for his role in The Williams method, where he plays the father coach of tennis champions Serena and Venus Williams. ” Richard Williams was a fierce supporter of his family. “launched in the form of a confession.
The triumph of “CODA”
The ceremony was also marked by the coronation of CODA, French movie remake The Aries family, which won remarkably the best film and best adapted screenplay.
Upon receiving the Supreme Oscar Award, CODAa low-budget film about the complicated life of a deaf family and their hearing daughter, defied the odds and left many competing heavyweights in the dust.
This victory allows Apple TV + to become the first streaming platform to win the Oscars in the category of best feature film. Director Sian Heder also won the Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay and actor Troy Kotsur, Deaf by Birth, won the trophy for Best Supporting Actor.
New Zealand filmmaker Jane Campion won the Oscar for Best Director The power of the dog which was nominated in twelve categories. She becomes the third woman in history to be crowned with this prestigious award, just one year after Chloé Zhao for Nomadland. The pioneer was Kathryn Bigelow, per Buscaminesin 2010. Jane Campion had already been awarded the 1994 Oscar for Best Adapted Screenplay by The piano lesson.
Jessica Chastain Best Actress
American Jessica Chastain wins Oscar for Best Actress In Tammy Faye’s eyes and her role as a teleevangelist with a big heart and outrageous makeup. The 45-year-old actress had previously been nominated for an Oscar twice without success, first by The color of feelings then for Zero Dark Thirty. He finally won on Sunday in a close competition against four other stars, Penelope Cruz (Parallel Mothers), Kristen Stewart (spencer), Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardosand Olivia Colman (The lost daughter).
West Side Story, the remake of Steven Spielberg, has to settle for the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for American Ariana DeBose. At the age of 31, she succeeds Rita Moreno, a native of Puerto Rico, who had already received an Oscar in 1962 for her role as Anita in the original version of the film. She asserted herself on stage as an Afro-Latino and a queer. ” Anyone who questions their identity is in the gray area, I promise there is a place for us.said Ariana DeBose on stage, referring to the song West Side Story, Somewhere (There is a place for us).
DunesDenis Villeneuve’s sci-fi film, which was not nominated in any major category, won four Technical Oscars, including Special Effects.
Finally, Drive my cara three-hour feature film by Japanese director Ryusuke Hamaguchi won the Oscar for Best International Film.
The ceremony observed a minute’s silence on the Ukrainian war and called for support for the Ukrainians.
- Best Movie: CODA
- Best Director: Jane Campion, The power of the dog
- Best Actress: Jessica Chastain, In Tammy Faye’s eyes
- Best Actor: Will Smith The Williams method
- Best Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, CODA
- Best Supporting Actress: Ariana DeBose, West Side Story
- Best International Film: drive my car (Japan)
- Best Animated Film: Charm
- Best Documentary: summer of the soul
- Best Original Screenplay: Belfast
- Best Adapted Screenplay: CODA
- Best Song: There is no time to die, by Billie Eilish
- Best sound: Dunes (Mac Ruth, Mark Mangini, Theo Green, Doug Hemphill and Ron Bartlett).
- Best Edition: Dunes (Joe Walker).
- Best Original Soundtrack: Dunes (Hans Zimmer).
- Best decoration: Dunes.
- Best makeup and hairstyle: In Tammy Faye’s eyes (Linda Dowds, Stephanie Ingram and Justin Raleigh).
- Best Animated Short Film: The wiper (Alberto Mielgo and Leo Sánchez).
- Best Documentary Short Film: The queen of basketball (Ben Proudfoot).
- Best Fiction Short Film: Goodbye (Aneil Karia and Riz Ahmed).